Thursday, May 5, 2011

Cascarones!!!




I think we started a new family tradition this year. I want to celebrate Cinco de Mayo every year as a family! We kept it simple, but it was fun!

We started off by cracking cascarones over each others' heads! Confetti was all over the kitchen floor. This was the first time I ever have made my own cascarones. When Easter candy starts on the shelves, most Walmarts carry them (look on the bottom shelves). Next year I am going to buy them as soon as they come out on the shelf because they sell fast! Spanglish Baby has a great article on how to make your own cascarones here.

Menu-
Homemade tacos (have you tried the Tortillaland dough tortillas from Costco? YUM!)
Chips & salsa
Platanos fritos

Treat-
A little Mexican flag made out of coconut candy called Bandera de Coco (found at 99 cent only store :)



Salsa Dancing Playlist-









I love salsa music! My new favorite salsa songs are La Vida es Un Carnaval by Celia Cruz, Somos los Campeones de la Salsa by Willy Chirino and Tu Carinito by Puerto Rican Power.



I like to teach my little girls how to salsa with Oye Como Va (I think it's actually a slow chacha, but it is a great, slow song to learn the steps). I also added a Merengue and a Bachata to the mix! I love any excuse I get to dance to la musica latina!!

No comments: